life, love, family, shopping...because there's always a reason to celebrate!

Instagram Feed

Friday, January 10, 2014

Maternity Wear

Maternity wear, huh?  Why would I be writing about maternity wear, you ask?  Well, you've guessed it, baby #2 is well on his/her way!

Having gone through one pregnancy already I assumed this one would be similar in terms of maternity wear.  Boy, I couldn't have been more wrong.  Last time I spent much of my time working so most of my maternity wear centered around blousy, silky shirts and dress pants or skirts.  This time around however, I am chasing a 1.5 year old. Pregnant.  I find myself needing many more "washable" outfits.  So the silky dress shirts and skirts are just not cutting it.  Today I apparently ran all my errands with my daughter's dried blueberry yogurt handprint on the back of my leg.  Just who have I become?  Lord. 

This time around I 'popped' a bit earlier (everything seems to be happening earlier - the sickness, the uncomfortable positions, lack of sleep, etc) so I've been scouring the web to find some cute, affordable maternity wear. Bad news.  There's not that much casual, cute, affordable maternity wear.  If only I was a clothes designer.  Do you hear me designers out there, help a mama out! 

I was thoroughly disappointed by my local Target's selection the other day.  Two types of dark washed jeans, one skinny, one bootcut, and the only sizes left were xl, xxl, and xxxl.  And somehow the maternity section there just bled right into the plus size section. Because being pregnant just isn't enough, now it is telling me "we can't bother to make clothes for two groups of people - you're all the same to us."  I'm going to try another Target this weekend and I have high hopes for better results.  

After my disappointment in the maternity section I headed to the regular section to just buy shirts that are in bigger sizes.  I'm not quite at the point where normal pants and shirts won't fit.  They're just uncomfortable. And buying pants in bigger sizes doesn't really work as well as it does with shirts.  With pants the waist might fit but nothing else does, leaving you with droop around your knees and saggy butt.  I don't care how pregnant I am, I refuse to succumb to droopy knees and saggy butt.   

Ok, so in the regular section I got completely distracted by spring-wear.  I bought two maxi dresses, a tee shirt, a tank top, and a sweatshirt - all two sizes bigger than normal.  

If this pregnancy is anything like my last one, none of these newly purchased clothes will fit come June. Last time by 9 months I was wearing my husband's tee shirts and my 5'2" body belly didn't fit in them.  He's 6'2".  My doctor said if I'm having a boy he will be bigger than my first child.  My first was 9 lbs 9 oz and 21 inches long.  Pray for me.  

Anyway, these are some of the places I'm praying will accommodate my ever growing belly in a flattering, fashionable way.  

Asos - never ordered from them before but have heard nothing but good things about their regularly sized clothes so I'm hoping the same is true for their maternity stuff.  Check out their maternity stuff here.  Here's a sneak peak at some of my favs...

Elbow patch sweater 
Gray tee with leather trim
Butterfly Jacquard Sweatshirt
Butterfly Belted Dress
Striped Top
Full Panel Boyfriend Jeans
Camel Coat

Old Navy - options are kind of plain but they have a wide selection.  Check it out for yourself as there are just too many for me to list. 

Target - it can't let me down, I love it too much.  I must've caught it on a bad day.  We all have a bad day now and then.  Target, I forgive you.  Just don't let me down! 

Striped Cowl Neck Top
Button Down Ruffle Front Shirt
H&M - in typical H&M fashion the colors are mostly dark and the styles are a little edgy.  And kind of plain in terms of visual interest and pattern.  Not really my style but glad to have more options. 

J.Crew, Gap, and Ann Taylor LOFT all have maternity sections but selection is limited and the clothes are expensive.  Maternity specific stores such as Motherhood Maternity and A Pea in the Pod are also quite expensive. I have a hard time forking over $100 for jeans I'm only going to wear for a few months until my belly expands so much that I outgrow every piece of clothing known to man.  

This brings me to my next point.  There really needs to be a legit, affordable, reputable place where mamas can sell back their maternity wear to be re-sold.  Like Uptown Cheapskate or Plato's Closet (I wrote about them a while back, here), but specifically for mommies.  I'm giving away my million dollar idea here but I don't care, I just need cute clothes!

Grab your favorite mommies and at the very least do a maternity clothing swap (or sale!).

~And that my friends, is worth a glass of champagne!~
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Designed by pipdig