life, love, family, shopping...because there's always a reason to celebrate!

Instagram Feed

Monday, October 8, 2012

Crowds, Crab Cakes, and Cocktails: Fells Point Fun Festival

"Crab cakes and football, that's what Maryland does!" ~ Wedding Crashers


A statement filled with truth. Fall has settled on Baltimore when the Fells Point Fun Festival has arrived. Crowds mill around Thames Street all afternoon listening to local bands like Mr. Greengenes and casually sip Baltimore's beer of choice, Natty Boh while the scent of Old Bay wafts through the air.

As Baltimoreans try to hang on to summer with crabs and warm sun, the Fall creeps up in sweaters, Pumpkin spiced lattes and of course the Ravens.

The Fells Point Festival marks the end of summer but the beginning of cool night air and changing leaves. People wander the cobblestones streets enjoying the comfortable Fall weather, the yummy festival food and cold, refreshing beer.



At one time I would've grabbed my friends and headed straight to the beer garden at the end of Thames St. Here, music blares from a large stage, beer trucks abound and food is abundant. Post college grads flock into the makeshift beer garden (which is actually a parking lot, but college kids aren't picky) for a day by the water, fun with friends and lots of drinks.

These days I leave the parking lot behind for a small park on the opposite end of Thames Street. It's as if the festival organizers know these two crowds cannot and should not mix lest a youngin come face to face with their future selves. Or worse, a tried and true adult meets a young carefree version of themselves. Nothing could make either group more disgusted.

So anyway, far far away in a garden playground- turned beer garden I sit casually sipping wine (they don't have wine in the parking lot), celebrating yet another year on this earth, while my daughter coos in her stroller. My how times have changed. Families sit watching their children play, all the while exchanging knowing glances of what used to be and what is now.



Walking the cobblestone streets (which used to prove an obstacle for my stilettos but now proves impossible for my Snap and Go) we stop at many vendors, browsing their many wares. Wine bottles turned into cheese servers, jewelry of every kind, alternative, hard to find music from the Soundgarden. People of all types wander the streets shopping, eating, drinking, dancing and enjoying themselves.

Grab a glass of champagne and hit the town!

Check here for the details

*All photos courtesy of Google images. *
Share:

1 comment

  1. I love the Fells Point Festival. My girlfriend and I used to make the parking lot beer garden an annual occasion. I am now relegated to the actual garden beer garden with my wife and new daughter, but I couldn't be happier about it. Sometimes I still miss the old parking lot, but I wouldn't trade the afternoon with my girls for anything.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Designed by pipdig