life, love, family, shopping...because there's always a reason to celebrate!

Instagram Feed

Monday, April 8, 2013

My Love Hate Relationship with Running

I actually enjoy exercise. I love it when I'm doing it, I love it after I do it.  It's the starting it that I'm bad at. I plan it.  I put it in my calendar like all those fitness magazines suggest, but for some strange reason it doesn't always come to fruition.  It seems that getting out the door proves much harder these days with a nine month old.  

It's so much easier to make excuses like "It's cold out" "It's too close to nap time," "Wouldn't it be more beneficial to my baby if I stayed home and played with her.  On a run she's just sitting in the stroller," or my personal go-to "I'll go when N. gets home from work.  It'll be 'me' time."  Despite the best intentions it is easy to let excuses get the best of you.  Especially if the only one you're making excuses to is yourself.  


Well today I got myself out the door to run.  Well let's be honest.  Jog.  Ok, I fibbed again.  Jog/walk.  Ok, now I feel better.  I'm a terrible liar.  Anyways, I managed to figure out the jogging stroller, popped the babe in it with a toy or two and out the door we went.  I began with the intention of walking, but after a few blocks of sunshine and after climbing the steepest hill in the neighborhood I decided I would just run a few blocks.  Downhill.  To get the feel for the stroller and to go easy on myself.  So I did.  

And you know what?  I wanted to keep going. And I did.  Until I was breathless and tired.  I stopped and resumed a few blocks later.  We even took a mini break for the swings at the toddler park.  Feeling proud of myself and healthy I decided to run the rest of the way home if I could.  

I ran most of it saying to myself "Just get to the end of this block."  And with each block I said "I'm not that tired, I can keep going."  Towards the end it was a struggle and I used the last block and a half home as my (walking) cool-down.  But I arrived home feeling pretty accomplished.  And wiped.  Really wiped.  I plopped the baby on the floor to play and I collapsed next to her breathing heavily, red-faced and sweaty.  The look she gave me could only have been "Mom, are you okay???"  I laughed and realized I should've eaten a healthier, more plentiful breakfast and drank way more water.  And those slutty brownies for dessert last night probably didn't help much either!  (If you haven't heard of these yet, you are seriously missing out on an ooey gooey, so-sweet-you-can-barely-stand-it, absolutely decadent dessert)

I wish it could be this easy all the time.  I am not, by nature, a runner.  Or a jogger for that matter.  I don't really find it all that enjoyable.  It's the being outside part that I like.  It's the not being able to breathe, aching legs, and the looking like a tomato that I could do without.  I've only done one 5K in my life and it was the best shape I was probably ever in.  I want to be one of those people who walks out into the beautiful sunshine and effortlessly goes for a 5 or 6 mile run.  A workout for which you need no gym, instruction or equipment.  Time to get your mood boosted, or at least that's how I feel after having spent time outdoors.  I know in order to get to be the 5 or 6 miler I need to lose the perfectionism and exercise patience (hehe exercise, get it?) for once.  I think it's probably time to reconcile my love hate relationship with running.

I have 34 days until my best friend's wedding (which is at the beach btw).  I'm hoping to lose the last seven to ten pounds (depending on the day) of baby weight during this time.  My goal isn't a certain distance or a certain amount of days (although 30 out of 34 would be nice...Ok, I'm supposed to lose the perfectionism for right now).  My goal then is to try to run for more days than I don't.  I want the amount of runs to outweigh the time spent on the couch or watching tv.  

Day one is complete.  Rain or cold, sun or wind I'm vowing to do this. But for now, let's just start with tomorrow.  Wish me luck!  
------------------------------------
(And for those of you wondering, I don't diet.  I tried and I can't - no self control.  I regulate portions, don't restrict what I eat, and I try to be active.  If I go crazy and eat five donuts in a day (I totally did this a few months ago) who cares?  I'll make up for it the next day and eat healthy and try to move a little more.  If it takes a little longer to lose the weight it's ok because I'm not in any danger health-wise, like having to lose weight for a specific reason like heart disease or diabetes.  I'm doing it so I feel comfortable in my own skin - and clothes.)

How do you all feel about running?  Anyone else love-hate it?
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Designed by pipdig