life, love, family, shopping...because there's always a reason to celebrate!

Instagram Feed

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Soul Body, New Body

You guys, I have found a new workout I love!  I have about 5 pounds of baby weight left to lose and A LOT of toning left to do.  My gym was offering a new class called Soul Body Barre which combines moves from ballet, pilates and yoga.  Who doesn't want the body of a dancer or yoga teacher??  Yes, please.



Despite an overwhelming sense of nervousness I signed up for the 6pm class.  I was the second one there and sat in anticipation as the class filled up quickly.  'Am I going to be able to do this? I haven't worked out in a while.  These girls are all much younger and fitter than I am' these thoughts streamed through my mind with each successive participant that walked through the door. 

I am happy to say that once the workout started all of those thoughts vanished.  But not for the reason you might think like believing in myself or a compliment from a stranger.  You know when a workout is so hard you can't think of anything but 'How am I going to make it through this, just keep going'?  Well that is definitely this workout.  

Staci began class with a warm up that had me sweating and panting for breath. What did I get myself INTO?? I thought.  But hey, I want a dancer's body.  Gotta wok for it right?  Right.  A bunch of squats, planks, using sliding disks for lunges and mountain climbers, and then we were ready to begin the workout. 

Water break? Breathing break? You'll find none of those here.  Once the workout starts it doesn't stop until 60minutes  later.  I felt my legs becoming sore before I even walked out of class.  If that's not a sign of a workout that provides results I don't know what is.  All the movements are very small, and work those muscles we didn't even know we had.  They are the supporting, smaller fiber muscles that really make the difference in the way you look.  Judging by the looks of Staci and her assistant this is the only workout I'd need to get in shape.  

I know you're curious just what I got myself into so here's a link to watch Staci and her team in action.  http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=CjdVGULxjL0

We did a lot of squeezing and pulsing and lifting of legs and butts.  Burning and crunching and lifting and holding.  'Now pulse. Up an inch down an inch she says' as my hamstring cramps and my standing leg shakes.  

The first half of class focuses on arms and abs.  This is no joke.  We are squatting and curling.  We are 'serving the platter,' we are doing push-ups and tricep  extensions.  I can't even remember the other exercises.  I think I went into an exhaustion coma and my mind blocked out the pain.

There was still half the class to go.  We moved quickly from one exercise to another with no break in between and Staci happily bounced around the room, talking and correcting, all the while performing the same exercises we were doing.  That woman is in shape! We moved to the barre and began lifting our legs working on hips, butt and legs.  Burning doesn't even begin to describe the pain.  And all I can think about is how I am going to make it past one more rep.  But I do.  And I feel energized and exhilarated afterward. 


 I've done something positive for myself - my mind and my body.  And that my friends, is worth a glass of champagne.  Don't forget to hydrate, that class is a killer!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Designed by pipdig